Friday, July 18, 2014

Dungeon Bar Crawl 2014

So apparently there was this thing called the "Dungeon Bar Crawl" held in 2013. A bunch of gamers got together and created a bar crawl "Because, at some point in your life, you've wanted to walk into a bar, and be approached by a mysterious figure saying, 'I am hiring adventurers for a quest. Would you like to go on a quest?' ". When asked to join the 2014 DBC, I was initially apprehensive. But was talked into joining because it's basically larp.


The 2014 Dungeon Bar Crawl took place on July 12th. It was held in the Union Square area of Somerville Massachusetts. The start location was The Independant, but the game took place across multiple bars in the area. There were three teams of players Tyranny, Justice and Chaos, all were attempting to complete quests for points. Highest point total at the end won.

I wore all the gear. And none of it mattered. Although I did get compliments. So that was nice. My first impression, the intro to this post written before going, was that this would basically be a larp. Sorry for the sudden change up in opinion post event. But I was very wrong.

It was not great. If you're expecting a larp, it's not that. If you like bar crawls, and tangentially enjoy fantasy gaming, you'll have a great time. Now arriving alone, and joining a group of strangers was not ideal and that was my own fault. The whole experience would have been vastly more enjoyable had I prearranged to meet someone and hang out with them the whole time. So most of my lack of enjoyment is of my own doing really.

However, My biggest problem was safety. Having larped since 1998 it's been pretty well drilled into my head that you play safely, and don't engage in drinking while fighting. Fighting in the street, and the effect that it has on the drivers in the road made me grit my teeth, and set my nerves on edge. After getting attacked in a cross walk, I died, and decided to stay dead. Worrying about other players safety, as well as my own, prevented me from having a better time.

Amateurs are dangerous. Most of the participants don't really know how to fight. And the ones that do play in hit point systems. This means that any practice or training you have from a combat larp, goes right out the window. Which is fair, because you're now on a level playing field. Skills aside that doesn't mean that everyone around you has the same awareness of their surroundings.

So if you participate in a good larp, and prefer not to see people nearly hit by cars, and don't like getting attacked in the middle of a crosswalk the Dungeon Bar Crawl is not for you. If you like drinking with your friends and completing silly quests while mundane people watch in horror, definitely go! Personally I won't be attending Dungeon Bar Crawl 2015.

I've been putting off posting about the play testing for a couple weeks. Sorry about that. I'm up to three play tests and hoping for at least one more before the blog post next week. Full time day job, larp practice, and various adventures, like Firefly, have kept my busy.